House Democrats just VOTED AGAINST Republicans’ motion to recommit on their misguided bill, HR 8, that infringes on the Second Amendment rights of all law-abiding citizens. (Read more about the Democrats’ bad legislation from Rep. Richard Hudson (NC-8) HERE.)
Rep. Ben Cline’s (VA-6)’s motion to recommit would ensure we enforce the law and notify U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement when NICS indicates that an illegal immigrant is attempting to purchase a firearm.
Yesterday, Rep. Cline delivered remarks in support of this commonsense amendment:
WATCH: @RepBenCline offered a motion to recommit which would ensure ICE is notified when illegal immigrants attempt to buy a firearm illegally.
17 House Democrats – who voted in favor of this common sense measure last Congress – flip-flopped and voted against it… pic.twitter.com/fTDlqaa3R8
— Chad Gilmartin (@ChadGilmartinCA) March 11, 2021
“Thank you, Mr. Speaker. Enough is enough, which is why I rise in strong opposition to H.R. 8 and to offer a motion to recommit the bill.
“This bill’s nothing more than a coordinated effort by the authoritarian left to strip away the constitutional rights guaranteed to Americans by the Second Amendment. Instead of criminalizing the innocent actions of law-abiding gun owners — American citizens — we should be focused on stopping real crime in our local communities and enforcing the laws that are already on the books. One way we can do that, is by ensuring that ICE is notified when unlawful aliens attempt to purchase a firearm illegally.
“The FBI reported just last month that NICS has just over 10 million people listed as an illegal alien. In fact, this ranks as the number one prohibited category in the FBI’s NICS indices.
“Since 1998 over 28,000 illegal aliens have been denied a firearm after failing a NICS check. With over 2,700 in 2019 alone this means over 28,000 criminals have been allowed to stay in the United States when ICE should have been alerted about their criminal acts but were not. H.R. 8 fails to do anything to prevent crime which is why I’m offering this motion to recommit so our nation’s laws are enforced.
“And if, you will recall, this MTR passed in 2019 with a strong bipartisan majority. Mr. Speaker, if we adopt the motion to recommit we will instruct the Judiciary Committee to consider my amendment to H.R. 8 to ensure that the FBI alerts ICE anytime an illegal alien is denied a firearm because of NICS.”
Check this out:
Of those 26 Democrats, 17 of them are still in Congress, and they ALL voted against it:
- Rep. Cindy Axne (Iowa)
- Rep. Angie Craig (Minn.)
- Rep. Jim Costa (Calif.)
- Rep. Charlie Crist (Fla.)
- Rep. Antonio Delgado (N.Y.)
- Rep. Jared Golden (Maine)
- Rep. Josh Gottheimer (N.J.)
- Rep. Andy Kim (N.J.)
- Rep. Conor Lamb (Penn.)
- Rep. Susie Lee (Nev.)
- Rep. Elaine Luria (Va.)
- Rep. Stephanie Murphy (Fla.)
- Rep. Tom O’Halleran (Ariz.)
- Rep. Kurt Schrader (Ore.)
- Rep. Mikie Sherrill (N.J.)
- Rep. Elissa Slotkin (Mich.)
- Rep. Abigail Spanberger (Va.)
These 17 Dems will have to explain to their constituents:
Why was it important in 2019 to vote to ensure ICE is notified when an illegal immigrant tries to buy a gun, but it’s not important now?
REMINDER: the Left was NOT happy with these Democrats last time they voted in favor of this commonsense idea…
- “At a closed-door meeting of House Democrats on Thursday, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) said some of her colleagues could find themselves ‘on a list’ of primary election targets, after they voted for a Republican amendment requiring that undocumented immigrants who try to buy guns be reported to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, according to people in the room who were not authorized to comment publicly.” (By Michael Scherer and Mike DeBonis, “Centrist Democrats push back against party’s liberal surge,” The Washington Post, 3/1/19)
Vote total on this MTR was 217 Dems – 207 Republicans.