Washington D.C. – Today, House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy (CA-23) responded to Speaker Pelosi’s refusal to answer questions about establishing fair and transparent procedures in her sham process to impeach President Trump. Simply put, she is “failing to meet the basic standards of due process observed by past Speakers of the House.”
Read the full letter below, or read it online here.
The Honorable Nancy Pelosi
Speaker, U.S. House of Representatives
H-232, The Capitol
Washington, D.C. 20515
I appreciate your prompt response. Unfortunately, you have not answered the latter eight questions posed to you.
At your press conference yesterday, you repeatedly said “we have to be fair to the President.” Your response to my letter this morning, however, indicates that your actions do not match those words.
During the impeachment inquiries of Presidents Nixon and Clinton, the House of Representatives—led respectively by Speakers Carl Albert and Newt Gingrich—established the following procedures that are currently not being provided in your rushed process to impeach President Trump:
- Co-equal subpoena power to both the Chair and Ranking Member at the committee level;
- All subpoenas subject to a vote of the full committee at the request of either the Chair or Ranking Member;
- Providing the President’s counsel the right to attend all hearings and depositions;
- Providing the President’s counsel the right to present evidence;
- Providing the President’s counsel the right to object to the admittance of evidence;
- Providing the President’s counsel the right to cross-examine witnesses;
- Providing the President’s counsel the right to recommend a witness list
Your proclamations of fairness fall flat when you deny a process that provides it. Simply put, you are failing to meet the basic standards of due process observed by past Speakers of the House. This complete lack of a balanced investigative process underscores that there is no legitimate search for truth here—merely a political messaging campaign.
If you are indeed sincere about overseeing a fair and objective process, meet the standards of your predecessors by establishing the procedures outlined above. Otherwise, I must again insist that you suspend all efforts surrounding your impeachment inquiry.
Without transparent and equitable rules and procedures, the American people will forever understand this sham process for what it is—the fulfillment of a partisan goal to reverse the 2016 election.