But even amongst this American leadership, there’s still more to do to make sure we leave future generations with a cleaner, healthier world. Republicans are focused on realistic, fact-based solutions that rely on and support American innovation, while maintaining our country’s competitive edge.
Republicans have long been stewards of our environment and promoting effective policies that favor clean energy, like:
- Natural Gas
- Carbon Capture
We also believe in knocking down barriers that hinder the growth of new technologies and encourage further research and development.
The same can’t be said for Democrats, who, with H.R. 9, are trying to stifle American innovation by tying us to commitments outlined in the Paris Agreement: a haphazard, inordinately expensive, and unrealistic agreement that bears little guarantees in the end.
There is no assurance that other developed nations will keep up their end of the agreement to significantly cut emissions, and no guarantee that, even if they did, it would be enough to offset the carbon pollution coming from the rest of the world. Then-Secretary of State John Kerry said so himself in 2014 during the Paris negotiations.
Numerous studies also support Republicans’ concerns regarding the cost and effectiveness of the Paris Agreement, as well as its sheer feasibility:
- NERA Economic Consulting report: Published in 2017, found that meeting the commitments President Obama made as part of the Paris climate accord could cost the U.S. economy $3 trillion and 6.5 million industrial sector jobs by 2040. It also found that average household income would decrease by $7,000.
- Climate Action Tracker: Participating nations’ commitments will not meet temperature goals in Paris agreement.
- European Climate Action Network: All European countries are off target. No single country is performing sufficiently to meet Paris Agreement goals.
- United Nations Emissions Gap Report: Countries identified in the report would have to at least triple their efforts to meet the Paris Agreement’s central goal of keeping a global temperature rise below 2 degrees Celsius, and increase efforts fivefold for its extended goal of 1.5 degrees Celsius.
- American Geophysical Union: Two March 2019 studies highlight the “incredible challenge” of reaching the Paris Agreement goals without significant sacrifice.
H.R. 9 is just another depthless symbolic measure offered by this Democrat majority because the disarray within their party has left them unable to cohesively create their own real legislation. With H.R. 9, the Democrats have made clear their willingness to abdicate legislative responsibility in return for political points.
Democrats should join Republicans in supporting the potential available on our own soil and in continuing to promote policies that solve inevitable issues through American innovation.