Rep. Max Rose (D-NY) recently summed up where House Democrats stand: the American people “don’t trust Democrats as far as they can throw them.”
Well, he’s right – prior to gaining the House majority, Democrats promised the American people that if given power, they’d work to solve our nation’s problems – and not go down the road of impeachment.
You may recall Politico’s John Bresnahan wisely saying, “There is no legislative agenda if you impeach the president. That is your agenda.” Talk about calling it.
Here are a few recent comments from some of the Democrats who once said they wanted to get stuff done, but now are solely focused on impeachment:
- Former VP Joe Biden: “I am not looking forward to an impeachment process – I really mean it,” Biden said. “I think it’s a gigantic distraction from things we should be focusing on getting done. But the truth of the matter is there is a Constitutional investigation. I’m going to do it a different way. Beat him.” (“Impeachment is a ‘gigantic distraction,’ Biden says at campaign event,” CBS News, 6/4/19
- Biden NOW supports impeachment.
- Rep. Max Rose (D-NY): “The truth is impeachment will only tear our country further apart and we will see no progress on the enormous challenges we face as a nation. Impeachment will not fix our roads and bridges or lower the costs of drugs. Impeachment will not keep our kids safe from gun violence or end the opioid epidemic. Impeachment will not improve the lives of the hardworking Staten Islanders and South Brooklynites that I fight for every day.” (“Rep. Max Rose: Why I oppose Trump impeachment,” SI Live, 9/12/19)
- Rose NOW supports impeachment.
- Rep. Elissa Slotkin (D-MI): “People in my district are wanting us to pass bills, and they fear that if we go down this path of impeachment, we’re not going to be working on the things that affect their lives, their pocketbooks, their kids.” (“House Democrats in Trump districts resist liberal pressure on impeachment,” Washington Post, 8/31/19)
- Slotkin NOW supports impeachment.
- Rep. Abigail Spanberger (D-VA): “Spanberger said she’s undecided on an impeachment inquiry and prefers to spend her energy trying to ‘get stuff done.'” (“Spanberger’s and Luria’s reelection will hinge on what they do about an impeachment inquiry,” Washington Post, 8/13/19)
- Spanberger NOW supports impeachment.
Democrats’ impeachment pursuit hurts the American people more than anyone else. Instead of keeping their promise to get things accomplished for the American people, they’re trying to undo the results of the 2016 election. They should stop this charade and work with Republicans in a bipartisan fashion to:
- pass USMCA
- end surprise billing
- address the opioid crisis