Washington, D.C. – Today, House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy (CA-23) and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) led a letter to President Biden requesting a “Gang of Eight” classified briefing on the status of the number of Americans still remaining in Afghanistan, the administration’s plan to evacuate U.S. persons outside of Kabul, and how they plan to ensure the U.S. government has the ability to communicate with our citizens in the country.
“It is of the utmost importance that the U.S. Government account for all U.S. citizens in Afghanistan and provide the necessary information and means of departure to all those Americans who desire to leave the country,” McCarthy and McConnell wrote.
Read the letter in its entirety here or below:
August 18, 2021
President Joseph R. Biden
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue Northwest
Washington, D.C. 20500
Dear President Biden:
It has been several days since you authorized the U.S. military to enter Afghanistan and conduct an evacuation of U.S. citizens from the country. Our current understanding is the U.S. military secured Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul and is conducting the evacuation. It is of the utmost importance that the U.S. Government account for all U.S. citizens in Afghanistan and provide the necessary information and means of departure to all those Americans who desire to leave the country.
Therefore, we request a classified briefing or call next week with the Gang of Eight to obtain the following information:
- The number and location of U.S. persons currently located in Afghanistan, and the methodology to determine such a number and location;
- The Taliban’s security posture inside Kabul and the ability of U.S. persons to safely travel to Hamid Karzai International Airport from inside the city;
- The status of discussions with the Taliban to ensure the safety of U.S. persons;
- The ability of the U.S. Government to communicate with U.S. persons in country;
- The Administration’s plan to evacuate U.S. persons outside of Kabul who cannot travel safely to the city; and
- The number of U.S. persons unaccounted for in the country and the potential reasons why such individuals have not been reached.
We all share in the desire to see Americans safely returned home, and we hope to gain clarity as to the means and methods for accomplishing that goal.
House Republican Leader
Senate Republican Leader