Leader McCarthy Leads Congressional Delegation to Southern Border
Just over the past several days, additional details surfaced that continue to expose the extent of President Biden’s border crisis:
- The number of migrants illegally entering our country has surpassed 100,000 – a 28 percent increase from January, and a 173 percent increase from this same time last year.
- The surge is being driven by an exceptionally high number of single adults being apprehended by the Border Patrol and a major increase in unaccompanied children and family units illegally crossing the border.
- February alone saw a 61 percent increase in unaccompanied children apprehensions and a 164 percent increase in family unit apprehensions along the southern border.
- Record number of migrant youths are being held in detention facilities – “nearly 4,000 minors are jam-packed in Border Patrol station holding facilities and jail cells designed for adults”
- One of the facilities holding children is up 729% of its pandemic-era capacity
- The situation at the border has become so untenable, President Biden had to call in the Federal Emergency Management Agency to assist with the influx of migrants. As Ranking Member John Katko noted, “If FEMA is involved, it’s a disaster by definition.”
This raises questions about the administration’s ability to plan and prepare for a crisis they created, but refuse to admit exists. Despite the Administration’s reluctance to accept the facts, their policies have created a crisis that risks the health and livelihoods of our own citizens. That is why Leader McCarthy will be leading a Congressional delegation to the border tomorrow to assess the situation, and gather information needed to secure our border.
The following members will be joining McCarthy on the visit:
- Ranking Member on Homeland Security John Katko (NY-24)
- Ranking Member of House Appropriations Homeland Security Subcommittee Chuck Fleischmann (TN-03)
- Ranking Member of Homeland Security Border Security, Facilitation, and Operations Subcommittee Clay Higgins (LA-03)
- Rep. Tony Gonzales (TX-23)
- Rep. Michael Cloud (TX-27)
- Rep. Carlos Gimenez (FL-26)
- Rep. Yvette Herrell (NM-02)
- Rep. David Joyce (OH-14)
- Rep. Mariannette Miller-Meeks (IA-02)
- Rep. August Pfluger (TX-11)
- Rep. John Rose (TN-06)
- Rep. Maria Salazar (FL-27)
Members will be holding a media availability. Additional information on the visit/media availability included below and will also be live-streamed here:
WHO: Leader McCarthy & House Republicans
WHAT: Congressional delegation to the United States southern border, followed by a media availability
WHEN: Monday, March 15th at approximately 11:00 AM Mountain Time
WHERE: United States-Mexico Border; El Paso, Texas
NOTE: Members of the press interested in attending the media availability should email Christina Cameron (email@example.com) to RSVP. Additional location and arrival logistics will be provided to in-person attendees upon RSVP.